Sunday, March 25, 2012

This is what happens when you mix obsession with checkered tablecloths and senility

Now that the weather's getting warmer, I find myself in a "picnic" mood.

This is a topic that's simultaneously exciting and frustrating.

Let me explain.

A few years ago, (maybe ten years ago, but who's counting), I happened to be in a picnic mood. I mentioned this to one of my friends, and suggested that she and I each pack a picnic lunch for ourselves and meet at one of the local parks.
She said that would be great.

The day arrived, and I had my beautiful picnic lunch ready. I forget exactly what I'd prepared, but it was wonderful and special, and I'd put a lot of effort into it. I might even have bought a picnic basket.

When I got to the park, I was the only one there.
My friend arrived late, and she was carrying a fast-food bag from a drive-thru.

"No, no, no," I thought to myself. "This is all wrong! This is a picnic! This should have homemade sandwiches and delicious decadent junky tidbits like cookies and chips and soda. ... And possibly a few carrots to erase the calories."
(What? Yes, of COURSE it works that way. Trust me. Would I lie?)

I didn't tell her how disappointed I was, but it ruined the entire experience. I realize this makes me sound obsessive/compulsive, and they probably make medication for that.

But instead, I've been thinking of going on another picnic.

All by myself.

These past few days I've been daydreaming about what the menu will be.

I've debated about whether or not I should blog about it. (If the comments on my vegetarian posts are any indication, you guys really, really, truly, honestly do not care one bit about what I eat. I could post about eating fresh hay and tadpoles, and you guys would just yawn and click over to YouTube.)

But, hey.
It's my blog.
My personal little obsession.

One of these days you will all be treated to a post about my self-induced picnic therapy.

I promise not to make egg salad sandwiches out of Cadbury eggs.

Or eat any of these things.

Or this.

OMG.
I just noticed that I already blogged about this exact same topic back in 2009. (Go ahead, read it...)
Sigh.
Three years later, and I still haven't gone...
Maybe I should just go ahead and look for the medication after all.
Just serve the pills to me in tiny picnic baskets, ok?
.

2 comments:

whall said...

Picnic sounds like a good campaign slogan for someone named Nick.

I thought about going back to that 2009 blog post and finding my comment there and then copy/pasting it here and then at the end say "OMG. I jut realized I posted this exact same comment in 2009".

Sadly, someone must've deleted my comment because I can't find it there. I understand it's your blog but did you really have to delete my awesome comment? I feel as I I've been stood up at a picnic.

Janna said...

Whall: LOL! Nice try. If you had a time machine you could go back and add a comment in 2009. Then you could fast-forward to 2014 and see if I ever got around to actually having my picnic.