Thursday, July 15, 2010

Plus, it's fun to say "chutney" over and over again for no reason

Here I am, once again trying various items from the British section of the supermarket.

Today's item is Sharwood's Mango & Ginger Chutney.

You might recall that I tried a different kind of chutney back in December of 2008, which I blogged about here. I described it as follows:

"Somewhere up in Saskatchewan, a bottle of barbecue sauce falls in love with a bottle of sweet-and-sour sauce. They live together for awhile, and start talking about getting married, but then the sweet-and-sour sauce has an affair with a bottle of worcestershire sauce.
Sweet-and-sour gets pregnant, and is not entirely sure who the father is.
So, when the kid is born, they all go on the Jerry Springer show and shout and throw chairs at each other before agreeing to do a paternity test.

That is exactly what tamarind chutney tastes like."

Surprisingly, this is pretty much what Sharwood's Mango Ginger Chutney tastes like too, except it's weaker on the worcestershire (tamarind) flavor, and stronger on the sweet-and-sour flavor.

The nice thing is that it can make an otherwise common boring meal into one you can proudly describe to your friends.

"I had roast pheasant with new baby potatoes and innocent basil flambe over goat trachea fois gras," they'll proclaim with their usual air of snobbery. "What did YOU have?"

"Oh, I had tender succulent chicken delicately glazed in mango ginger chutney," you can say nonchalantly, while doing your best to hide the McNuggets box.
.

13 comments:

PattiKen said...

Chutney is God's gift to the lazy hostess. Put some soft goat cheese or cream cheese in a bowl, and dump a bottle of chutney over it. Serve with crackers. Then listen to them rave about your culinary prowess.

"Thank you, thank you. It was nothing."

whall said...

The thing about innocent basil flambe is that it doesn't stay innocent around me for long.

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

Whall stole my comment. I hate smart people. Bastard.

Anonymous said...

Never tried those, not a big chutney fan.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
00dozo said...

I like Patti's idea - sounds yummy.

nonamedufus said...

And here I always thought chut-knee was some kind of football injury. Huh! You learn something new every day.

Monkey Man said...

Always thought the english boiled everything and kept flavor away from the table. At least that is how my English MIL presents it. I gotta start visiting my British food market and check up on the chutney.

Janna said...

PattiKen: Really? Huh! Almost makes me wish I liked cream cheese! :)

Whall: You're such a corrupting influence!

MikeWJ: If only you were here 48 minutes earlier, you could have beaten him! Drat! I think you guys are both in the same time zone, too. (Texas and Colorado are both Central, right? Or, no, wait... Colorado is mountain...? Sigh. If it wasn't so hot in here I might actually feel like Googling a time zone map.)

miksplace: Really? Wow, I'm surprised you're not a chutney fan. I really like it. Especially the tamarind variety.

Spam guy who I deleted: Please go wipe with poison ivy.

00dozo: If only I liked cream cheese, I'd probably think so too. :) The only way I really like cream cheese is in cheesecake. Then it's amazing.

nonamedufus: I hate it when my knee starts to chut. And I don't even play football.

MonkeyMan: I guess they have some things that are awful and some things that are pretty good! I've been pleasantly surprised by some of the things I've tried.

Tina said...

OMG that made me crack up. You had me at the whole marriage/baby worcestershire thing, but you nailed it with the McNuggets. You are truly funny. I'm your new follower.

Janna said...

Tina: Hooray! Welcome. Thanks for visiting! :)

Gwenhwyfar said...

I love just how many times that package has come up on your blog. It makes me happy.

Janna said...

Gwen: Thank you again for brightening my day with delicious things. :)