Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Another day, another hospital bracelet

I just got back from the hospital. I spent the whole evening there.
My leg has developed full-blown cellulitis and is badly infected.
I laid in the E.R. for a few hours while they gave me an I.V. of antibiotics. (something called Rocephin). I have to return for the next three days to get three more doses of antibiotics pumped into me.
They left the I.V. needle thing in my wrist and bandaged up my arm to immobilize it, so when I return each day, they just have to unwrap me, IV me, and wrap me back up. (Plus I'm on oral antibiotics again too).
They couldn't find a good vein in my arm, so they had to stick me right in the middle of my wrist. This hurt like hell, and still doesn't feel very good when I make the mistake of moving my wrist, because of course that thing is still jammed in there.
Here's how I knew my leg was making a turn for the worse: the wound had been slowly healing down to the size of a dime. But it's now the size of a 50-cent piece. The red area around it had been the size of a bagel. But it's now larger than a CD. And it hurts worse. My leg has swollen and is full of fluid, which sometimes drains out and drips. (I know, that's gross, sorry). There's an awful feeling of pressure.
I realized this afternoon that it was not going to get better on its own, no matter how much tea-tree oil I used.
So I made the dreaded journey back to the hospital.
And I'm glad I did. I really feel like crap. As I was laying there in the ER, it dawned on me how lousy I felt, and I realized that the hospital was exactly where I needed to be at that moment.

This whole thing has turned into such a saga that I've given it its own LABEL, so you can revisit the whole storyline if you want.

One other thing: While I was there, they did a blood test to see if I was diabetic. I'm not. So there's good news, at least.
.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I realize that meds aren't the answer to everything. I've tried herbs and other holistic things to cure whatever ailsme. I'm glad you finally folded and got something you needed.Hope it all turns out okay. ((HUGS))

P.S. Maybe it was the home medication that fried my brain cells! =)

Anonymous said...

I just noticed!!! I'm never the first anywhere! YAY!!

Lynda said...

Wow, that really sucks!

One day I will tell you the story of how my husband got an infection, ignored it for 6 weeks, got a little circle drawn on his knee, had surgery on said knee and ended up in the hospital for 9 days.

But not today. I hope you feel better soon!

Travis Cody said...

Awww sweety, I'm sorry this has taken such a turn for the worse. Hang in there!

Desert Songbird said...

I'm so sorry this got worse, but I'm very glad you got it looked at and are taking care of it. Get better soon!

Marilyn said...

Oh man, that sucks. I'm glad you didn't wait. I hate IV's, but I hate being sick more.

Get well soon.

Mo and The Purries said...

Well, I'm glad you went to the hospital.
Also glad to know you're not diabetic - for you, miss sugar queen, that would suck.
You better get better soon!

mo

Unknown said...

What I think you need is a hunky stay-at-home male nurse...Oh wait, I think that's what I need! Hope the hospital visits finally help heal the darn thing.

Schmoop said...

Take care Janna...Get better dammit!!

Foofa said...

Sad and glad to know you are in the hospital. Isn't it strange when they leave IV things in you? seems like something would leak out.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

you poor little thing! that really does suck you know. and i was just at mo's and admiring all his janna'd photos and now you are in dire circumstances! drat! feel better honey!

smiles, bee

The Ferryman said...

Maybe you will come back better and stronger and faster like Jaimme Summers...

Anonymous said...

I'll send back your pesos. You'll need them to pay for your meds in Mexico.LOL

Michele said...

Hope you get better,Fab would
be lost without your quick wit.

robkroese said...

Hey Janna. Just visiting from Fab's. Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Does not sound like fun. Sending prayers and good wishes your way.

Janna said...

Metalmom: Go ahead and blame it on the home-meds. I won't tell anyone.

Lynda: Yes it does suck indeed! (Nine days??)

Travis: Thanks for calling me "Sweety". :)

Desert Songbird: I really really really want to get better soon.

Marilyn: At this point I hate IV's even more than brain-sucking alien vampires from Neptune.

Morgen: Send cookies!

Steven: Get twin nurses. We'll each take one, then we'll trade and compare notes.

Matt-man: I want to, dammit!

Natalie: I know! The IV is driving me nuts!

Bee: Thanks for the good wishes. :)

Mr. Fab: It would be cool to have a few bionic body parts... I don't know if that's covered by insurance, though.

Metalmom: Gracias, senorita!

Michele: Thanks for visiting! Actually I don't know if Fab would notice I was gone! LOL

Diesel: Thanks for visiting, and thanks for the good wishes. :)