Friday, August 15, 2008

Here, try some!

Guess what!
Morgian gave me a jar of homemade salsa.
She didn't make it; one of her friends or relatives did. I forget exactly who.
She gave it to me because its heat level was reputed to be "hot enough to take the chrome off a bumper."

Since I LOVE super-hot spicy things, this sounded ideal.

I will now be trying this salsa for the very first time.
I'll blog about my reaction immediately afterward.

For dipping, I'll be using some tortilla chips and some taquitos.

Everybody ready?
Here we go!

(*dipping taquito*....)
(*eating taquito...)

Mmmmm!
It is yummy, and it IS pleasantly hot!

(*takes more bites*)

OMG. This is really, really good.
My eyes are watering and my nose is running.

I definitely taste habanero pepper, or some close relative thereof.
All the flavors are perfectly balanced with just a tiny hint of sweetness.

This is absolutely delicious.
(**multiple taquitos and several tortilla chips later...**)

Um, I seem to have finished half the jar already.
I'd better save the rest.

Seriously, I'm not lying when I say this is probably one of the most DELICIOUS salsas I've ever eaten in my entire life. And I think it might be the third hottest. I've had bottled hot SAUCES that are much hotter than this, but I'm pretty sure this ranks as the third hottest jar of salsa.*

In a perfect world, I would have a jar of this every single week for the rest of my life.
I LOVE the fact that it doesn't seem to have any onions in it. As far as I can tell, it's mostly just crushed habanero peppers with a few minor ingredients added. I'm not even sure I see any tomatoes.
You know how much I HATE onions, so I greatly treasure any onion-free salsa I can find.

Morgian! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
This has cleared my sinuses and brought tears of joy to my day.
.

*In case you're curious, the hottest salsa I ever had was called "Salsa Habanero". I got it from a catalog called "The Salsa Express" about 12 years ago. The catalog no longer offers this product, which is kind of sad. Still, even though that salsa was hotter, Morgian's has a better flavor.
The second hottest salsa I ever had was THIS ONE Jason made for me in October 2006. It was really good on chicken sandwiches.
.

15 comments:

Marilyn said...

We need tortilla chips. This made me hungry.

whall said...

The tortilla chips themselves are usually hot enough for me. I don't like hot stuff.

I think maybe it's because I still have all my taste buds.

Anonymous said...

I love spicy and I love homemade salsa. I've never yet found bottled to match the stuff I make myself. But I always put onions in mine. I also love onions. So, I guess I won't be sending you any. Too bad. More for me.

Mo and The Purries said...

hot, probably
tasty - who can tell after you've boiled off your taste buds?

Janna said...

Marilyn: I highly recommend it!

Whall: No, no, you've got it all wrong. Hot things do NOT kill off your taste buds. The spice merely makes your taste buds come ALIVE. It doesn't harm them. It invigorates them!

Xup: Go ahead and keep it for yourself, if it has onions. I insist. :)

Morgen: Hot things do NOT harm taste buds, any more than sweet, salty, bitter, or sour things do. It's just another type of flavor.

Travis Cody said...

I'm with you on the onions. Ick.

But I'm not with you on the spicy. So you can have the jar that is cosmically set aside for my use.

Janna said...

Travis: I keep forgetting you hate onions. I'm so glad I'm not the only one.

EvilGenius: You would have loved this salsa; it was great! It wasn't extremely hot, but still hot enough to make the tears drip and the snot flow. It was just right.

Mo and The Purries said...

Hot does destroy.
You've never cooked a roast by surrounding it in sweet goodness, have ya?
No, you put it in the oven and cook it with heat.
Therefore, I stand by my scorching off tastebuds theory with capsaicin from hot peppers. Hey - I watch Good Eats with Alton Brown, I saw the hot pepper episode about how capsaicin attaches to your taste buds!
Anything that makes you cry when it goes into your body and makes you cry when it comes out of your body - well, I just don't want to imagine what it does while it's in your body!!!
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Janna said...

Morgen: Ahh, but that's a completely different thing altogether. Temperature-heat DOES cook things and burn things. Yes, an oven will cook a roast. But capsaicin does NOT cook things or burn things. If you took a raw fish and coated it in hot peppers and let it sit for awhile, would it be cooked? Would it be burnt? Would it be damaged? Nope. Spice heat is not the same thing as temperature. We only use the same term because the sensations are similar.

Anonymous said...

Mo,

Do you eat anything containing vinegar? 'Cuz if you do, your logic is blown out of the water. Vinegar will cook things. Think ceviche. In fact, any type of acidic agent can "cook" food. Like lemon juice. Or even orange juice. And yet, and here's the kicker, it remarkably does no harm to the mouth and the taste buds. There is some research being done to see if capsaicin can be used as a healing agent. It's effects have been proven to increase blood flow to the exposed areas, which may serve to help chronic pain conditions, neural cancer, and migraines. (Janna, do you think maybe there is a connection between your headaches and your love of spicy food?) Many folk healers swear by it for multiple afflictions. So...Sorry. I'm with Janna on this one, you wuss! :-P

Jason

P.S. There _is_ a legal limit on the concentrations of capsaicin that are allowed to be sold to the general public. In extremely large quantities, capsaicin can be deadly. However, the amount required to kill a person is so high that it could never feasibly be achieved through the consumption of peppers or other hot foods. Of course, along these same lines, over-consumption of water will kill you as well. I'm just sayin'...

Morgiana Le Fey said...

i'm glad you enjoyed it so much janna (.= i'll tell my stepdad he should make more. you might just get an entire batch for yourself (.-;; i'm not sure if he grew any habeneros this year though...

Janna said...

Jason: Well said!

Morgian: It was reeeealllly good. :)

whall said...

What I meant was I don't smoke. Almost every smoker I know has to eat super hot stuff to even taste the food.

Anonymous said...

Mo, I believe you would appreciate this. http://funmeme.com/archive/2008/08/01/chili-cookoff.aspx

Jason

Janna said...

Whall: Oh. Ok. Well, glad to hear you don't smoke. Me either. I like to enjoy every savory sizzle! :)

Jason: I couldn't get the URL to work, but judging from the address, it looks like that funny story about the guy who was picked to help judge a chili cookoff. (right?) I love that story! :) The chili sounds so good, and he just keeps complaining about how hot it is. LOL. :)