Thursday, January 9, 2014

Alive, grateful, and, for some reason, craving pizza.

"Being snowed in isn't so bad;" she decided.  "There's still plenty to do. We could make spaghetti and meatballs, we could take a nice long hot bath, we could call friends, we..."

"Um.  Can't do any of those things.  The water pipes just froze... and the cell phone battery is dying."

"Please shoot me now."
.
'.'*'.'*'.'*'.'*'.'*'.'*'.'*'.'*'.'*'.'*'.'*'.'*'.'*'.'*'.'*'.
The fictional part, of course, is the idea that anyone else was WITH me when this happened. Other than that, it's all sadly true, as you know if you read this post.

Snowed in for two days.  Alone.

Water pipes froze from Sunday through Wednesday.

Cell phone battery dying (with charger elsewhere).

When I tried opening my front door against a foot (or more) of snow, it actually BROKE THE DOOR.

Thanks to some VERY good friends, I finally got the driveway plowed out on Tuesday.
My water pipes finally un-froze on Wednesday evening.
Got the phone charged up.
The door is currently fixed with duct tape until spring, at which time I will need a new door.

It's official; I'm an old crotchety lady who hates winter.

I'm also an old crotchety lady who's turning another year older on Saturday the 11th.  (!)
.

11 comments:

Margaret said...

BOOKS! Sleep. TV… alone. Sounds like heaven to me ;)

Glad you had friends to help dig you out.

Janna said...

Margaret: It wasn't so bad until I realized I was stranded with no water.
Then things got a little more ominous.
I shoveled my way across the porch (after the front door broke, of course), and made a little path to the garage for the people who needed to come check the well-pit.
On my way back into the house, I realized that there was a teardrop on the inside of my glasses... AND IT HAD FROZEN onto my glasses.
Wow.

Brian Miller said...

ha. the no water would def be a problem..imagine all those smells as the days pile up with no water...

author.nara.malone said...

Awww. I don't know if your misery loves company but I usually have a week or two of that kind of misery every winter. Get one of those solar chargers for your phone. Once the snow stops you'll at least be able to call help if you need it. I have one that will run the MiFi and the cell phone. I can get internet for a couple days using the tablet or surf on the phone when that runs down.

nonamedufus said...

I was in Panama the last two weeks where it was 90F and sunny every day. I swam on the ocean, played golf, drank Coronas and generally had a great time. Sorry to hear about the deep freeze you went through. Did I mention I went to Panama? I have pictures.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Right. Being snowed in is a treat as long as the water runneth and the heat is on.

Yvonne Osborne said...

Hey Janna!
I scored a 105 in your little sidebar game!! Even plantd one disk in the 50! Do a get a roasted marshmallow or some hot chocolate??

G-Man said...

Janna Dear...What a harrowing week! Your pipes froze but didn't break? You are Lucky!!
But you do sound pityful...
Loved your frozen 55
Thanks for playing, I'm so glad you made it out alive, have a Kick Ass Week-End

Mary said...

Awful to have one's pipes freeze. I don't know if I would have had the patience to wait. The cell phone battery issue would have about done me in. (smiles) Glad all is back to normal now, and Happy Birthday one day early!

Anonymous said...

Well, happy birthday! I love being snowed in. So glad things are getting back to normal for you.

Janna said...

Brian: The smells have acquired personalities of their own!

Nara: A solar charger would be great!

nonamedufus: la la la la la llaaaaa... I can't heeeearr youuuu...
;)

Yvonne: 105 is pretty good! Lately I haven't even been able to break a hundred. :(

G-Man: I'm very grateful the pipes didn't break!

Mary: Is it spring yet?

razzamadazzle: You LOVE being snowed in? :O