Monday, February 27, 2012

Not sure whether to be depressed or excited about this...

I got a telemarketer call today.

She started by saying "I'm not calling to sell you anything; I just wanted to take a survey," blah blah blah.

I sighed.
I really hadn't been feeling well this afternoon, and part of me really wanted to just hang up and go back to bed. (I got to leave work early because I was sick).

Phone-lady said "Are you between the ages of 18 and 35?"

"No," I answered. "I'm 42."

Clearly that was not what she wanted to hear.
There was an awkward pause.

"Oh," she said finally. "Um, is there anyone else there who would be between the ages of 18 and 35?"

"No." I thought for a moment. "Not even the cats." (My oldest cat is almost 17.)

"Oh." she said, disappointed. "Well, thanks for your time anyway. Have a nice day."
And then she hung up.

Apparently I am now officially too old to be bothered by telephone survey people.
Anyone over 35 must be in the "ancient" category, reduced to worrying about gray hair and dietary fiber and osteoporosis and nose-hair trimmers.

I should probably be depressed about that, but part of me is pretty excited. From now on, whenever I get unsolicited calls, I can just say "Sorry, I'm 42. We old people need our rest. Get a haircut, get off my lawn, turn that radio down, and have a nice day."

Then I can get back to my real life of turning the radio up loud while dancing on the front lawn wearing nothing but a shower curtain and a really long licorice rope.

It helps the fiber work better.
.

2 comments:

nonamedufus said...

.In the 60s we said don't trust anyone over 30. I didn't know they raised the the age to 35.

Janna said...

nonamedufus: I wasn't born til 1970, so I didn't get that memo. I've been trusting 31-year-olds for all these years. Now I understand why my life is screwed up.