Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Shaken but not stirred

This morning I woke up with a headache and wasn't feeling well for most of the morning.

Just before two in the afternoon, I felt a weird sensation like the room was gently swaying back and forth. I wondered if I was starting to get sick.
It happened a few times before I looked up and noticed something odd.

There was a necklace display a few feet away in the salon, and a couple of the necklaces were swaying back and forth.

Weird, I thought.

I wondered if they were moving because the air conditioner might be blowing on them, so I waited a few minutes and kept watching... and they stopped swaying. Eventually they hung perfectly still, even though the air conditioner was still blowing the same as before.

I mentioned this to Mom, and wondered if we had an earthquake.
I didn't think that was really it, because we just don't get those in Michigan. Or at least it's so rare it might as well be ruled out. I thought maybe there was some construction work going on with heavy machinery, or something local like that.

Then, later on when I listened to the news, I learned that there was indeed an earthquake which happened at exactly the time I felt the room swaying.
It was a magnitude 5.8 in Virginia.

This is the very first earthquake I've ever felt in my entire life.
I'm amazed that we were able to feel it all the way up here in Michigan.

I looked at the usgs.gov site (which lists all the earthquakes worldwide as they happen), and learned that there was an aftershock which hit the same spot an hour later.

How about the rest of you?
Did you feel it too?

.
P.S. I totally realize that for those of you on the West Coast, this is NOTHING, and you are probably laughing out loud at all of us over here right now.
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in Philly and my house moved from side to side - such a weird thing to feel your house moving - scary, scary, scary!

Janna said...

Grace: It is definitely a strange feeling, that's for sure.

ShellyS said...

I didn't feel a thing in NYC, though others did, including my husband. They even evacuated some buildings. It sure gave folks something to talk about besides politics and the economy. :)

Janna said...

Shelly: So far we haven't felt any of the aftershocks, though I know there have been some happening. It does indeed make for a refreshing conversation topic.