Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I could be the only normal one in the cemetery

I value my peace and quiet. Sometimes I seek out odd places to enjoy solitude and serenity, one of which is this nice spot in the local cemetery.
I know, I know; it sounds creepy to some people. But I don't fear cemeteries at all. To me, it's no different from sitting in a park... except it's usually quieter and offers more opportunity for solitude and personal reflection.

Lately it seems like everyone else has the same idea, though, because more and more people have been showing up. My secret is catching on, it would seem.

Last week, while parked in my "favorite spot", reading in the cemetery, I saw something in my peripheral vision.
Looking up, I was startled to find this old guy wandering past the car.
I didn't hear any car drive up or any footsteps, yet there he was, so you can understand how I was a little freaked out at first. But then I saw his car nearby. He was just out wandering around for some reason. When he saw me, he walked back the other way.
(It seemed unlikely that he was visiting deceased relatives, because I was in the older section, with people born in the 1700's and 1800's.)

Also on the theme of "weird people in the cemetery", I was parked there Saturday too, in a different spot than usual. Honestly, I was just enjoying the peace and quiet. I was reading some things and writing some things and appreciating the beautiful green trees. It was lovely.
Then I looked up and noticed this odd guy walking toward the car. When he got about ten feet away, he started wildly gesturing and ranting about something. He was all worked up, waving his arms in what seemed to be gestures of disapproval. His expression was fierce and unpleasant. I got the impression he didn't like my being there.
Unsure of his sanity, I decided I should move on and find someplace else to park.
As I drove by him, he continued the wild gesturing and shouting. I looked in my rear view mirror and watched him carry on for awhile. Then he kept walking onward, apparently to confront the people in the red minivan who were parked about a hundred feet behind me.

If I didn't know better, I'd think only weird people hung out in cemeteries.

After all, I'm totally normal, right?
(... right?)
.

10 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

It's the grave robbers you really have to worry about.

nonamedufus said...

Do you know how many dead people there are in that cemetery? All of them!

Monkey Man said...

Cemeteries are great! I have folders full of photos Mrs. MM and I have taken at cemeteries. As to the waving arm guy. I would have asked him what was up and if he was crazy, just moved on.

Janna said...

GorillaBananas: True!

nonamedufus: LOL! Yes, all except for me. So far, anyway. I hope.

MonkeyMan: Yay! Someone else loves cemeteries too! I feel slightly more normal now!

PattiKen said...

I love wandering around in cemeteries, ESPECIALLY in the oldest sections. People back then knew what to put on grave stones.

But speaking of people afraid of cemeteries... My dad wouldn't go in one, not even for a funeral. He was afraid that once he went in, he would never get out. Just to be sure, he arranged to be cremated and scattered over the ocean.

Janna said...

PattiKen: The oldest sections are definitely the most interesting. The new sections tend to be unimaginative and dull. With the older ones, it's like going back in time and seeing a glimpse of history.

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

There are three things I really like about this post:

1) I also like to hang out in cemeteries, and for the same reasons that you do. They're quiet and beautiful.
2) There's a distinct possibility you see ghosts, which is a little creepy but also very interesting.
3) You hinted, just barely, that you write. And because you were writing in a cemetery, I'm guessing it's not Jannaverse stuff, but something much more interesting. I hope I get to read it one day.

Janna said...

1) They are indeed!

2) Creepy, yes! These were definitely flesh-and-blood guys, though. I'll send them over to explain it to you. Are they there yet?

3) Well, as a matter of fact, I... Heeyyyy, wait... isn't the Jannaverse interesting? Aren't all the posts about cheeseburgers and aliens and farts just thrilling beyond belief? Don't they tug at your soul like a hearty novel never could?

MikeWJ at Too Many Mornings said...

No, they never got here. Maybe they resolved all their unresolved issues by intimidating you.

And, oops. I didn't mean it like that. I love the Jannaverse. Love it, love it, love it. But I'm intrigued by this other side of your writerly persona. When do I get a copy of the manuscript to read?

Janna said...

MikeWJ: LOL! If only I had a manuscript to give you. :)
If I ever do write a novel, I promise to give you first crack at editing it. You can get me all kinds of contracts with top name publishers, right? Right?