Thursday, October 4, 2007

A sad sequel to my previous post

Well, I e-mailed tech support at BlogTalkRadio.
And we seem to have pinpointed the problem.

Their recent upgrades require the newest version of Windows Media Player (version 11).

But that version's only available for Windows Vista and Windows XP.
I'm stuck with Windows 98, and won't be able to upgrade anytime soon.

Here's the reason I can listen to the archives but not the live shows: They use two different players. The archives use Flash (which I apparently have), but the live shows now require the Media Player I'm unable to get.

Dammit.

At least now I know WHY things aren't working.
I'm really sad and disappointed, but at least now I know what the problem is.
And I have to say I'm impressed at how fast the tech support guy answered me. It was within minutes. He was polite and intelligent and sympathetic. Even though my problem didn't get fixed, I still developed respect for the tech support folks over there.

To my favorite BTR hosts: I love you and am SO sorry that I won't be able to listen to your shows live any more. Please allow me a few moments to cry on your shoulder.
.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Freakin' Microsoft! Sorry that you're having that trouble. However I don't think Windows XP is that expensive now that they've come out with Vista. I have XP and love it. I've tried Vista, but can't say that I'm terribly keen on it. I think it's one a person would have to acclimate to.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh! I haven't updated my Media Player in forever. I bet that's why I can't listen live either. I just never investigated because I've only ever been home for two of Fab's shows.

katherine. said...

any chance you could call in and listen on the phone while on hold?

Janna said...

Square1: Part of the problem is that my CD-Rom doesn't work anymore, so I'm unable to upload any new software that requires a disk.

Jade: Try upgrading and see if that helps!

Katherine: If the hosts would let me, that's a possibility. It'd be the only way I could listen live.

The Ferryman said...

THAT is the problem?

I emailed tech support yesterday morning and have yet to receive a reply.

Janna said...

Mr. Fab: That seems to be the problem, yes. Sorry the tech support guy is being slow for you... I swear, he got to me within MINUTES of my e-mail. Maybe he realized I have boobs.

Liz Hill said...

Well GEEZ it would have been nice of them to explain that TO THE HOSTS!!


Thank you Miss Janna--and sugar you can call in and listen on my show any time you like.

Smooch

Tug said...

That sucks...CD Roms are very easy to install - just a thought?

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

thanks janna, i have downloaded this version and i will hopefully be able to listen to mo now. you rock girl!

smiles, bee

Janna said...

Turnbaby: Thanks for the offer!

Tug: They may be easy for some people to install, but for me it would be like handing a guitar to a potato.

Bee: Well, glad I could help you, at least...

alanlevy said...

I am not sure where you picked up this information and if it came from our customer service group than I apologize.

Windows Media 11 is not required to listen to live shows. I use WMP9 and the streaming works perfectly.

If you are having having issues with streaming, please trouble shoot them directly with Amy Domestico at amydomestico@blogtalkradio.com

Alan Levy
CEO

Anonymous said...

As to potatoes handling guitars... ever watched Veggie Tales?

Janna said...

Alan: Wow!! Really? If you can listen with WMP-9, why can't I listen with WMP-10? I've e-mailed Amy and am waiting for her reply.... THANK YOU for your comment here! I greatly appreciate it!

Square1: I have heard of it but have never seen it. I seem to recall someone telling me it has a tomato named Bob. Y'know, if I had a tomato, and if I wanted to name it, I guess Bob is as good a name as any.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you had the CEO of blog talk radio here?! You go girl...

I use Firefox and I can't listen through there. I have to switch over to IE. It's just aggravating to me b/c I usually have Firefox open and I have to close it and open BTR in IE. I hope you can get it fixed so that you can listen live!

Janna said...

CrazyWorkingMom: IE usually freezes or crashes on me these days. I'm glad it works for you, though! :)

Mo and The Purries said...

Wow... Alan Levy...
You MUST have flashed boobage while I was on vacation...
Hope you have heard back & can listen live tonight.

Janna said...

Morgen: Nope, it's still not fixed!