Sunday, February 11, 2007

Ancient computer rites

I know, I know. It's not 1998 anymore.
Yet here I am, still with my computer sporting the obsolete OS known as "Windows 98".
Not quite as caveman-esque as Windows 95, but still pretty close.
So I wasn't entirely surprised by my frustrating attempts at updating my Windows Media Player a few hours ago. The newest version (#11) is not compatible with Windows 98.
I had version 6.4, and the best upgrade I could get was 7.1.
So I went ahead and did it. It was frustrating and maddening, the cyber-equivalent of ripping one's hair out while forcing an eggplant into three random orifices all at once. (while juggling, no less.)
Yet, against all odds, I finally got it to work. I now have Windows Media Player 7.1, and I have to admit I love it so far, despite a few occasional annoying quirks.
No doubt it's like cave paintings, compared to the NEW version #11 that the rest of you technologically-updated folks are enjoying.
I envy you.
Sort of.
(Where did you put YOUR eggplants?)

2 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Good for you for making yours work with newer software.

Until a year ago, I had an ancient Macintosh 7100 with OS 9. Since I got a NEW Mac with LCD and speakers, I would almost be happy to never leave home again.

Travis Cody said...

Fresh out of eggplants darlin.

I recently purchased a new laptop. My old PC was older than dirt. I'm much happier now.

Glad you were able to update safely. Now back away from the eggplan!!